Monday, August 11, 2008

Olympics, American Style

It is the year of Michael Phelps. At least if you watch NBC. There has always been vast coverage of American athletes, but I do not remember anything of this extreme, directed towards one person. He is freakin' everywhere! (I think that NBC forgets at times that there are over 600 American Athletes competing) There is even a Phelps Phan commercial, and as I watch the prime time coverage of the Olympics tonight, he just won his third gold metal in three days. No matter how much coverage there is, I have to admit that he is amazing.

To sound off from Sara's excellent post on Olympics, London-style, I have to admit that I am glad to be home during the coverage. I do love, and cry, at the human interest stories that are abundant during prime time coverage. I love the sappy music that plays in the background and for a non-sporting person, it makes it easier to connect to the sport, through the person. And, yes, Bob Costas is a legend in American Olympics coverage...his commentary at the Opening Ceremony adds to the drama. His voice is iconic, whether you like it or not.

Every night from 7-10p.m., I watch the daily coverage. I do love that NBC covers the major events in a consolidated time frame so that we get a nice taste, but can still work, eat and carry normal life for the 16 days. And, I watch the TODAY show every morning at 7am, so I get a nice bookend to my days.

Side Note**Not sure if anyone has noticed the new line of United Airlines commercials running through the Olympics coverage, but it is artistic-genius-inspirational and simply beautiful. I am so impressed with their campaign, that I want to take a trip. I guess their marketing did their job. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzvamSr3lec

No comments: