Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Reality of Summer TV

The summer season brings a whole 'nother creature to t.v. programming. Although Big Brother made a late winter/spring appearance, summer is home for the king of reality! BB 10 started this week with a bang and another slew of reality stars. The oldest reality star ever, great-grandpa Jerry, is a nice change of pace to the back-stabbing young bombshells. BB is always a rollercoaster of good and bad tv, but I will be the devoted fan, watching all three episodes a week. Renna and the early player Brian are nominated for eviction. Will the house carry through their plans to evict Brian, or will his BB skills be put to the test, and succed? Guess we we'll know on the next episode.

The mainstream giant of the summer season, in my opinion, is So You Think You Can Dance? I love everything about this show, except for Mary's screams and ear-popping voice. This show catapolted the art of dance to the general public and brings multiple styles and genres into living rooms. How many average people knew about West Coast Swing, Mia Michaels, Lyrical and Cat Dealy? I love Mia Michael's routines week after week; their power and artistry pull emotions through the tv onto my couch.

On the cable front, two popular shows are Design Star on HGTV and The Next Food Network Star, on duh...the Food Network. Both are great, dramtic competitions that showcase talent and skill that most wish to have. Design Star has a Kansas City local, Jennifer from Olathe, so I definately watch the home girl. She is in the top three, and I hope she continues!

Television programming used to take a break during the summer, but with the birth of reality, it is alive and kicking!

2 comments:

Spencer said...

Congrats on the new blog - and thanks for adding my site to your blogroll. I'll do the same at Tunes on TV.

Spencer said...

I hope you don't mind a suggestion - I would allow anonymous comments - you'll get more that way - if you're worried about spam, you could moderate the posts.